Sunday, September 16, 2007

What I Deserve.

It's been a while... ok, it has been ages. I've thought of countless things I need to get around to posting and haven't yet. What's my excuse? Maybe it's settling back into a Western life. Maybe it's figuring out a new job. Whatever the excuse... it's not good enough.

When I decided to return to the States I had a few criteria that were important in my head to fulfill, to make it all worth while. *Find a good job with good starting pay in an interesting company doing something I'd look forward to when I woke up in the morning; so far (one week down), so good. *Moving in with good friends to make the living situation rewarding day in and day out; absolutely - my new roommates are hilarious and enjoy my pointless stories. *Living life a little more fully; I'm on the path to that, and putting up few roadblocks in the process. Hesitation is just an obstacle to having fun, right? *And finally, dating the kinds of girls I should be dating; no settling, no selling out, no one that any friend would later say "dude, she was not cool." Fuck that, time for cool.

Here's where I'm at now: good job, check - living with good friends, check (be it currently on the couch, it's still better than living with my parents, though I love them dearly) - making each day begin and end with a big smile, check - dating quality girls... and there in lies the rub.

Don't get me wrong, I've dated some great girls here. Really cute models, funny chicks, and deep-souled individuals - but none strike the right tone yet. I'm all for pointing out my flaws early on so they know what they are up against. Self-deprecating humor rings loud and clear: I know my weaknesses (though you may find it hard to believe I have any, a few are hidden in the mix), but I'm getting the sense that people here don't always know a great thing when they see it. I say this because I had my first reminder of what it is to be back in Southern California. Oh Thailand, what makes you so sweet?

I guess I haven't felt the sting of a night of strikeouts in a long time... and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Ok, maybe not strikeouts, but no big hits either. And if that is one of the precepts for opting to return to this part of the world, what will it take for a few more grand slams? Guess I need to put forth more effort than merely trying to speak the local language (don't get me wrong, I have to try that here too... I'm so behind the times with the lingo: "not" jokes are no longer in). Let's just say the re-integration into American society is not as smooth as Johnny Walker Green Label on a Saturday night back at Bed Bar in BKK.

Check back in next week, as I have a new strategy I want to test out on the "locals" - really, who doesn't love a guy in a Santa costume?

Until next time,
Bear

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who do you think you are anyways?! Ever think those girls who were "not cool" thought you were the one below them. Reality check, asshole, you're not god's gift to women (and that is not a not joke.)

Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger The Truth Hurts said...

Wow....relax Anonymous! I think this blog struck a chord with you. Your emotions have influenced your interpretation of what was written.

He wrote: "And finally, dating the kinds of girls I should be dating; no settling, no selling out, no one that any friend would later say "dude, she was not cool." Fuck that, time for cool."

He's saying he wants to date great women. He doesn't want to look back and see that he dated someone that he would later regret.

That being said, your comment doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't your comment imply that those "not cool" women think that they are better than our blogger here? If a "not cool" girl that he might have dated thought that he was below her, then why would she be dating him to begin with? Wouldn't this hypothetical girl be settling? Would she look back and later regret it herself and possibly think, "I dated someone that was (dare I say) not cool."

Would you date someone that you thought was below you Anonymous? Think about your answer carefully. Because if you say "yes" then I'm sure there is a lonely, creepy and socially inept bar fly somewhere that could use some sweet, sweet loving!!!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:56:00 PM  
Blogger Ethan said...

I have personally met Barrett, and feel that it is safe to say that One Hundred percent of girls are below him. He is a filet mignon among ribeyes.

Good luck Bear and Asia misses you!

Ethan

Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you this weekend, JDUb. Hope you enjoyed the Snickers.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Cali Thais said...

Good to see you too, Shark. The snickers was tasty.... Congrats on the future to you and Patsy!

Saturday, October 13, 2007 4:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home