Friday, January 05, 2007

Decision to Stay

After an arduous internal debate weighing the pros and cons and seeking advice from friends and family, I have decided to stay in Asia for another year. In making the decision, I followed the PUMA's advice of taking a blank sheet of paper, drawing a line down the middle, and jotting down all the reasons to go on the right and reasons to stay on the left.

There were many reasons in both categories, and ultimately, it came down to the opportunity to make something big out of the nonprofit. It is just too amazing of an opportunity not to make a big go of it.

Interestingly, fear played a part of the decision as well. It was the fear of looking back and wishing I had done more with the given opportunity. I am terrified of leaving now and in 5 years looking back and saying to myself, 'I should have stayed that extra year and made something that was great into something that was excellent.'

Perhaps the notion of looking back at our previous selves and wishing we had tried harder is not common to everyone, but I definitely have it. Looking back at university, I had a great time and did pretty well in all my classes. However, I always think I should have done things better (i.e. read more, started papers earlier, attended every class, etc.) Lacrosse is the same. I know I had a great career, but looking back I always think I should have been better (i.e. a harder left handed shot, gone after more ground balls in games, etc.)

While it may not be healthy to chastise ourselves for not doing things differently in the past, I think we should all strive for excellence in our present lives.

So my decision to stay comes with this recognition of my own fear and also the quest for excellence for the upcoming year. In doing so, I have set a few goals. First, I have started to train for a marathon in Phuket on June 17th. Second, I have decided to teach reading comprehension courses to Cambodians in my free time. On Monday, I start Robinson Crusoe with my first group of students. And third, I have started to set big but achievable goals for the nonprofit so that when those goals are reached, I can look back and be content with my efforts.

I hope you will find excellence in your life in the upcoming year as well.

Happy New Year,

J-Dub

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, John. It sounds like you made a well thought out, rational decision concerning staying in Asia. Though we will certainly miss you over here, the chance to do something that you can be proud of is not one to pass up lightly. Good luck in the coming year. Keep striving for greatness.

Sunday, January 07, 2007 9:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home